Thinking of buying a resale flat? If you prefer this over a new flat, this guide will help you figure out what to do.
Step 1: Do the Research and the Math
• Before you start searching for your dream flat, it will be good to assess your eligibility status first.
• Thereafter, you can search for flat listings of resale flats via advertisements in the newspapers and property portals available on the Internet.
(Tip: You can use the Resale Checklist for Buyers to help you know more about the resale policies and procedures.)
Step 2: DIY or Salesperson?
• You can manage the transaction on your own or engage a salesperson. The choice is yours. You are not obliged to engage a salesperson to handle the transaction.
• If you engage a salesperson (as above), ensure that he/she is registered with the Council for Estate Agencies (CEA).
(Tip: To have a better understanding of HDB’s resale policies and procedures, you can consider attending the HDB Resale Seminars.)
Step 3: Know Your Procedures
• Whether you engage a salesperson or not, be sure to obtain the HDB Standard Option to Purchase (OTP) form, the contract used in a resale transaction, downloadable from the HDB InfoWEB.
• Your flat seller may request to extend their stay in their flat temporarily, up to three months. If you’re agreeable to this, the request must be submitted to HDB during the resale application.
• Complete the Resale Checklist for Buyers. There is one Resale Checklist for buyers who do not engage a salesperson, and another one for buyers who engage a salesperson (which is to be completed with the salesperson).
• Take a look at all items in the relevant checklist. You have to complete the Resale Checklist online using SingPass and provide the checklist serial number when you submit your resale application.
(Tip: You can check out sample copies of the OTP in three languages on the HDB InfoWEB for reference.)
Step 4: Submit Your Resale Application
• Once you have entered into a legally binding contract with the sellers using the OTP, you can proceed to submit your application.
• You are required to only submit your portion of the resale application. If you have engaged a salesperson, your salesperson can submit it on your behalf.
Step 5: Attend Appointments with HDB
• After submission of the Resale Application, there will be two appointments at HDB. Both you and the seller of the resale flat have to be present to ensure a smooth handover of flat ownership.
• At the completion appointment, you pay the balance of the resale price of the flat, if any, in cash.
• Signing of the transfer documents are completed at the second appointment. Once done, you become the proud owner of your new home, and you can move in any time. Congratulations!
(Tip: Do read through the HDB Resale Folder. It has quite a bit of useful information that every new home owner needs to know.)