Buying a Flat

A Guide for Singles Buying an HDB Flat

Hello solo dwellers-to-be! So you are turning 35 soon and you want to make that dream of owning your own home a reality. The entire space, the way you want it. Having alone time, any time. Dance without anyone watching. Well, it will no longer be a pipe dream, and we are here to help with some popular questions!

Q: Is it true that I cannot buy a new HDB flat unless I am married or engaged to be married?

A: Nope! You can buy a subsidised BTO flat from HDB directly if you qualify. The Single Singapore Citizen (SSC) scheme was enhanced in 2013 to allow first-timer unmarried Singapore Citizens to buy a new flat. You will need to be at least 35 years old and meet the income ceiling of $6,000.

Q: What kind of grants can I apply for?

A: Under the SSC scheme, you can apply for Additional CPF Housing Grant and Special CPF Housing Grant if you meet the requirements. Depending on your income, you can receive up to $40,000 in grants to buy a new BTO flat. Find out more here.

Q: What type of BTO flats can singles buy? What is it like?

A: You can choose from 2-room Flexi flats in non-mature estates. These flats come in 2 sizes, 36sm and 45sm. It will include 1 bedroom with an attached bathroom.

Q: What other things do I need to take note of when buying a new flat on my own?

A: Living on your own means you will need to take charge of maintaining your home and the necessary expenses, such as buying insurance, shopping on furniture and furnishings, as well as utility bills.

Q: What happens when I decide to get married later?

A: You can add your spouse as an occupier to your flat.

Q: 2-Room Flexi might not suit my needs for the long term. What other options do I have?

A: You can choose to get a flat from the resale market – for this option you will not be restricted to any flat type or location. To help you finance your purchase, HDB offers CPF Housing Grants as well. Depending on your income and eligibility, you may receive up to $55,000 in grants.

Q: If I buy a new BTO flat with my parents. Am I still restricted to 2-Room Flexi Flats?

A: If you are applying for a flat with your parents, you can purchase any flat type under the Public Scheme. If your parents are staying with you in a flat applied under the SSC scheme, you may be eligible for the Parental Housing Grant as well.

Got more questions? Send it to us at

By Nicholas Yau
October 25, 2017

You may also be interested in:

Good News Galore for First-time Flat Buyers!

More Housing Options? Yes!


Popular Posts