7-Ingredient Roasted Pumpkin Soup
For me, October is the start of ‘fall’ in sunny Singapore, even though we do not have the 4 seasons. This time of the year is when Singapore starts to turn a bit chilly, and I find myself needing to layer up given my sensitivity to cold.
That is when I seek comfort in a bowl of pumpkin soup. Creamy and warm, the soup can be a simple meal on its own and is sure to chase away the cold. Moreover, it is a simple 7-step recipe, using only 7 ingredients. 🙂
Serves: 3 to 4
- 1 medium pumpkin (which will yield about 2 1/4 cups (450g) of pumpkin puree)
- 1 white onion, diced (1/4 cup or 40g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 tbsp or 9g)
- 2 cups (480ml) vegetable broth or chicken broth (Here, I made the broth by adding 2 chicken stock cubes to 2 cups of boiling water.)
- 1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk (or substitute with heavy cream or milk, with varied results)
- 2 tbsp (30ml) honey
- 1/4 tbsp sea salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to about 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Use a sharp knife to quarter the pumpkin into fours and cut off the top. Use a sharp spoon to scrape out all of the seeds and stringy pulp.
3. Brush the pumpkin with oil and place face down on the baking sheet. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a fork easily pierces the skin. Roasting the pumpkins is the only step that takes some length of time, but it will help to bring out the sweetness of the pumpkins and add a roasted flavour to the soup – something that is totally worth the wait!
4. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, then peel away skin, mash the pumpkin flesh with a fork and set it aside.
5. To a large saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then the onion and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly browned and translucent. Add remaining ingredients, including the mashed pumpkin, and bring to a simmer.
6. Transfer soup mixture to a blender or use a hand blender to puree the soup. If using a blender, place a towel over the top of the lid before blending to avoid any spillage.
7. Pour mixture back into pot and continue cooking over medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
Serve as it is or with some toast or salad for a heartier meal!
By Jessie Ng
October 26, 2017
You may also be interested in: