By : Ng Shi Lei
27 July 2017
I am a self-professed foodie and used to cafe-hop on weekends. After getting my new BTO flat, I found myself on a mission to turn my kitchen into a weekend #homecafe.
The #saltedeggyolk sauce trend in Singapore is still going strong and is likely to be one of the food fads that pop up and disappear. Practically every dish from fried chicken to croissant tastes better when slathered with salted egg yolk sauce.
But with their premium price tags, I decided to make my own sauce so that I can have it on anything I like.
It is actually rather easy to make salted egg yolk sauce and it can be slathered on anything you fancy, be it chicken, prawns, pork, fish skin etc. For this recipe, it will be on fried shitake mushrooms.
- 3 salted egg yolks
- 30g heavy cream
- 50g Flour
- 20g butter
- 200g shitake mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- 20 curry leaves
Stir fry salted egg yolks with butter until foamy.
Steps for Salted Egg Yolk Sauce
- Steam 3 salted egg yolks for 10 minutes.
- Mash salted egg yolks as fine as possible, passing it through a sieve if you are hardworking enough so that the sauce will be very smooth.
- Heat frying pan with butter over medium heat, stir fry salted egg yolks until foamy.
- Add in the heavy cream and stir until well incorporated and sauce is creamy.
Coat shitake mushrooms with beaten eggs and flour.
Steps for Shitake Mushrooms
- Lightly rinse shitake mushrooms and pat dry on paper towel.
- Coat shitake mushrooms with beaten eggs and flour.
- Deep fry shitake mushroom until golden brown.
- Alternatively, you can air fry the mushrooms in an air fryer at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes. Remember to drizzle olive/ coconut oil on the mushrooms so that they will be crispy.
- Heat frying pan with butter and add in curry leaves, stir fry until fragrant and slightly crispy.
- Plate the shitake mushrooms, drizzle the salted egg yolk sauce on it and stir in the curry leaves.
I am having my salted egg yolk shitake mushrooms with a side of air-fried kale as a treat. It can be served on a tortilla wrap if you like some carbo or with rice for a filling meal. Any ideas on how to enjoy salted egg yolk sauce? Share with us via email or on Facebook!
SHARE THIS ON