By : Jessie Ng
10 August 2017
Hosting a party at home can be quite the nightmare, with all the preparation and cleaning (before and after the party) involved. This is why crostini is my go-to party snack when I want to keep things simple yet classy.
Serve crostini as an elegant appetiser or jazz it up to create a simple meal. All you need is some creativity in assembling the toppings over the toasted baguette slices, and you can create different combination of flavours to wow your guests. Here is how you can create simple and tasty crostini in 3 ways:
(A) Layer on – Pile up with toppings!
- Baguette slices
- Smoked salmon slices
- Cheese (I am using cream cheese and brie; you can use other cheeses that you like)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil and pepper
1. Lightly brush olive oil over the baguette slices and pop them into the toaster or oven (at about 190 degree Celsius) for about 5 to 10 minutes, or till they are crisp and brown. This is the only cooking part for this recipe.
2. Remove from the oven and allow the toasted baguette slices to cool slightly.
Ham and cheese combination
3. Place a slice of brie on the toasted bread, and then top it off with ham, basil and half a cherry tomato.
Smoked salmon and cheese combination
4. Spread some cream cheese on the toasted bread, and layer a few slices of avocado and a slice of smoked salmon. For a fancier look, you can also roll up the smoked salmon into a rose. Decorate with some arugula.
5. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle some pepper over the crostini. You are ready to serve.
(B) Spread it on – Top it off with your favourite dips or spread!
- Toasted baguette slices (as mentioned above)
- Egg mayonnaise – simply mash 4 hard-boiled eggs with a fork; add in 3 tablespoon of mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard; sprinkle some pepper and mix them well.
- Guacamole (get the recipe here)
- Cherry tomatoes
Egg mayonnaise combination
1. Place a tablespoon of egg mayonnaise on the toastedbread and decorate it with arugula.
2. Place a tablespoon of guacamole on the toasted bread and decorate with diced cherry tomatoes.
(C) Link them up: Because it is more fun to eat crostini on a stick!
Instead of open-faced style, you can also skewer them. All you need is some bamboo skewers and the same ingredients shown above. Follow this quick guide to link them up!
If you have easy party recipes to share, do send them to us at email@example.com or on our Facebook page.