By : Priya Shandhini
12 October 2017
Sweet treats are a must for any festive occasion and definitely for Deepavali!
This year, I decided to include among the traditional Deepavali sweets, something different. It is so easy to do, using staple ingredients easily available at the store or market.
Try out this coconut candy recipe like how mothers and grandmothers used to make. If you are into healthy eating, you can cut down on the sugar in the recipe, and it will still taste just as good.
- 230g desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup condensed milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 8 drops of food colouring (I used red colouring for this recipe)
- Toast the desiccated coconut in a pan over low heat till it turns light brown. Set this aside.
- Take a wok or a non-stick pan and melt the butter. Add all the ingredients (desiccated coconut, milk, condensed milk, sugar, vanilla essence and food colouring) and stir them well. Stir the mixture constantly until the sugar dissolves and the coconut clumps together – for about 20 minutes.
- Grease a 7-inch by 5-inch tray or a similar-sized rectangular container and pour the mixture into it.
- Use wax paper or plastic wrap to level and press down the mixture.
- Set this aside for 30 minutes at least and cut them into cubes using a greased knife.
- Keep the cubes in the fridge overnight and they should set by the next day.
- Enjoy the aromatic coconut candies that you prepared!
These can be kept for almost 3 weeks in the fridge so take your time to savour them over the Deepavali festive period.
Do you have any other simple sweet treats that we can share? Send us the recipe via firstname.lastname@example.org .
SHARE THIS ON