By : Serene Fong
04 August 2016
HOMEMADE CARDAMOM ROASTED TOMATO PASTA
Homemade Cardamom Roasted Tomato Pasta
I have always wanted to try cooking a pasta dish with homemade sauce, instead of buying pasta sauce off-the-shelf – something special and not so ‘instant’, if you know what I mean!
Last Saturday, I cooked this dish for the second time, and I must say that I have mastered it quite well! An added bonus – I was really delighted to see my children loving the pasta and finishing every bit of what their mama cooked. I think the light tomato sauce infused with lemon and cardamom (the star to this sauce) did the trick.
Ingredients (for 5 servings):
• 500g of pasta of your choice (I used ‘Mickey Mouse’ and ‘Princess Belle’-shaped pasta)
• 5 cups of whole cherry tomatoes
• 7 cloves of garlic, with skin removed and cut lengthwise into 4 or 5 strips
• 10 strips of lemon zest (use a vegetable peeler to peel about half of the zest away from a lemon)
• 15 cardamom pods, cracked open to allow the flavour to seep into the sauce
• 4 tablespoons of olive oil
• 1 cup of chicken stock (I used scallop stock instead as one of my daughters has to avoid food made using chicken)
• Salt and freshly-ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 260 degree Celsius.
2. Boil a large pot of salted water, add pasta, and cook according to the instructions on the package.
3. In a large oven-safe pan, add cherry tomatoes, garlic, lemon zest, cardamom pods, and olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Roast for 10 minutes, then stir the tomatoes and roast for another 10 minutes until the tomatoes skin begin to split and release their juices.
5. Remove pan from the oven. Remove and discard the cardamom pods and lemon zest.
6. Place the pan of roasted tomatoes over medium heat and pour in the stock. Cook until the stock is reduced by half the amount.
7. Add the cooked pasta, stir and cook for 1 minute. Serve as it is, or with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Enjoy your homemade pasta!
If you have other delicious pasta recipes to share, send them to us via firstname.lastname@example.org or our Facebook page!