Why You Should Never Overload Your Power Outlet

By : Bertrand Teo
20 October 2016

Electrical appliances are a blessing. Think of the humble rice cooker, a simple invention but it saves you time and effort having to labour over a pot on the stove. Or the refrigerator humming silently in a corner of your kitchen, keeping your food fresh and vegetables crisp.

 

So we tend to take them for granted. But what we should not take for granted is that they can also pose potential hazards at home. These good practices will help you keep your loved ones and your home safe.

 

Electrical Safety Tips

 

  1. Avoid overloading electrical power outlets
    The more electrical appliances attached to one power outlet, the higher the likelihood of overheating. This, in turn, puts the socket-outlet at risk of catching fire.

Switch off unused electrical appliances

An electrical source can only be ignited when it is switched on. If you are going to be away from home for an extended period, be sure to turn off all electrical appliances and switches.

Replace damaged or frayed cords 

Removing an electrical plug by its wire from the socket may cause damage. If you notice any broken or cracked wire insulation on your appliances, get them replaced or repaired immediately. You also need to get a licenced contractor to perform electricity-related works, such as installation, maintenance and replacement works.

Keep liquids away from electrical appliances 


Avoid operating electrical appliances or switches with wet hands. Water conducts electricity and puts the user at risk of electric shocks.

 

Avoid extended charging of batteries and devices

 

Overnight charging of lithium-ion battery operated devices, such as smartphones and tablets, is generally not recommended. Also avoid leaving electronic devices, such as power banks, plugged in when they are already fully charged.

Switch off decorative lights when not in use

Leaving decorative lights on for an extended period may seem tempting, given how they make the setting more appealing. However, it is advisable to turn off these lights when unattended. It is also important not to handle decorative lights with wet hands.

For more information about electrical safety at home, check out the HDB InfoWEB.


It is also prudent to have fire insurance. Household accidents are difficult to pre-empt and the insurance will help home owners to be covered in an unforeseen crisis. That is why HDB requires new home owners with an HDB loan to take up the Fire Insurance Scheme for their home.

 

Let us know if you have questions about home safety via mynicehome@mailbox.hdb.gov.sg or follow our Facebook page for more tips.

 


Tags: Maintenance,


SHARE THIS ON

        

GET HOOKED

Watch Videos

HEARTLAND STORIES #5: MY COMMUNITY

Latest Video

HEARTLAND STORIES #5: MY COMMUNITY

Kim organises free walking tours around her estate!

 WATCH NOW